This is an unusual vegetable dish. It's colorful, filling and delicious!
1 small cauliflower, outer leaves removed, broken into 1 1/4" florets
1 medium red onion, peeled
1 T. olive oil
1/2 t. finely chopped rosemary
1/2 c. basil leaves, chopped
1 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/3 t. turmeric, optional
5 ounces grated Parmesan
salt & pepper
melted butter, for brushing
2 T. sesame seeds, toasted
- Place the cauliflower florets in a saucepan and add 1 t. salt. Cover with water and simmer for 15 minutes or until they are very soft.
- Drain and set aside.
- Cut 4 round 1/4" slices off one end of the onion. Coarsely chop the rest of the onion.
- In a small fry pan with olive oil cook the chopped onions until soft.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Transfer onion to a large bowl.
- Add the eggs and basil and whisk well.
- Add the flour. baking powder, tumeric (if using), Parmesan, 1 t. salt and lots of pepper.
- Whisk until smooth . Add the cauliflower. Leave Florets whole or break into small chunks, your preference.
- Line the base and sides of a 9 1/2 inch spring-form cake pan with parchment paper.
- Brush the sides with melted butter.
- Toss the sesame seeds around the inside sides of the pan.
- Pour the cauliflower mixture into the pan and arrange the red onion slices on the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.or until golden brown.
- A knife should come out clean if you place it in the center.
- Rest for 10 to 20 minutes.