1/2 c. uncooked rice, (will make 1 c. cooked rice)
3 c. boiling water
1 1/2 t. salt
one-15 ounce can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk
1/2 c. raisins, optional
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 whole almond, optional
cinnamon for dusting
- Put rice, water and salt into a heavy 2 quart saucepan.
- Cover and cook until the rice is cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Place the cooked rice back in the pan.
- Add the Eagle Brand Sweetened Milk and raisins.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl until just blended.
- Add gradually while stirring briskly, to the rice-condensed milk mixture.
- Return to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is noticeably thickened and looks like pudding.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the vanilla extract and nutmeg.
- Place in a serving dish and hide one whole almond in the mixture.
- Dust with a light sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- The person who gets the whole almond is said to be the next to marry in Swedish tradition.