We like this left over so I double the recipe.
1/3 c. Chinese fermented black beans
2 T. peanut oil
2 c. chopped yellow onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 c. chicken broth
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/2 t. sugar
4 c. pea pods, cleaned and cut diagonally in 1" pieces
1 lb. skinless chicken breast
1 T. cornstarch
2 T. sherry
1 t. toasted sesame seeds
1/4 c. chopped green onion
- Place the black beans in a bowl and cover with warm water, Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half vertically. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the chicken and pound very thin. Slice into thin strips then into small pieces.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the oils together.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so.
- Drain the beans and add them to the pan and sauté for 10 seconds.
- Stir in the broth, soy sauce, and the sugar and bring to a boil.
- Add the pea pods and the chicken strips and bring to a boil again.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and sherry.
- Uncover the chicken mixture and whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Cook 1 minute.
- Add sesame seeds and chopped green onion and cook 1 minute.
- Season with black pepper.